- 15 1/2 oz canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup(s) onion(s), chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) parsley, or cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp tahini sesame butter
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 large whole wheat pita(s)
- 8 piece(s) lettuce
* Combine chickpeas, onion, parsley, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and baking soda in a food processor or blender. Process until mixture is coarsely pureed and transfer to large bowl. Stir in flour; shape mixture into 4 patties and let stand for 15 minutes.
* Preheat oven to 400ºF.
* Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat (if you don't have an ovenproof skillet, make sure to cover the handle of your skillet with aluminum foil before heating). Add patties and cook until golden brown, flipping once, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer pan to oven and bake 10 minutes.
* Meanwhile, whisk together tahini, water and lemon juice.
* To assemble sandwiches, place 2 lettuce leaves inside each pita, add 1 falafel patty and drizzle with 1 tablespoon tahini dressing.
PointsPlus™ Value: 9