This soup contains not only healthy amounts of iron and calcium but also a big dose of complete protein, thanks to the beans and rice.
* 2 Tbs. oil
* 2 onions, chopped
* 5 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 16-oz. bag lentils
* 10 cups water
* 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
* 3 medium-sized carrots, sliced
* 3 celery stalks, sliced
* 1 15-oz. can navy beans
* 2 15-oz. cans stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1/4 cup dry brown rice
* 1/2 cup white wine
* 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
* 1/2 tsp. dried basil
* Dash of oregano
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
* 1 0.2-oz. pkg. dried nori seaweed, crumbled for garnish
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low, and cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until rice and vegetables are tender.
2. To serve, ladle portions into individual bowls, and sprinkle with dried seaweed.
ALSO PER SERVING: 93mg calcium; 5mg iron; 0 IU vitamin d; 0mcg vitamin b12; 2mg zinc
Nutritional Information Per SERVING:
Total fat: 4g,
Saturated fat: g,