* 1/2 cup cashews
* 1 1/2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
* 4 cups sliced mushrooms
* 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
* 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
* 1 tsp. curry powder
* 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
* 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
* 2 tsp. cooking sherry
* 2 tsp. chunky peanut butter
* Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
* Roasted red pepper strips, for garnish
* Sourdough toast points, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread cashews on baking sheet, and toast 7 to 10 minutes, or until pale brown, shaking pan occasionally.
2. Heat margarine in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, curry powder, garlic salt, and cumin, and sauté 10 to 12 minutes, or until mushrooms are browned and most of liquid has evaporated. Add sherry, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until alcohol has evaporated. Transfer to blender or food processor, and add cashews and peanut butter.
3. Purée mixture in blender or food processor until relatively smooth. Transfer to bowl, and chill 2 hours, or overnight. Scoop pâté into center of plate or bowl, sprinkle with parsley, and decorate with red pepper strips. Surround with sourdough toast points, and serve.
Nutritional Information Per SERVING:
Total fat: 4.5g,
Saturated fat: 1g,