Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lentil Tacos

1 cup brown lentils (I used French green lentils)
8 oz. can tomato sauce
corn tortillas (I used corn tortillas for the kids, whole wheat tortilla for myself)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
pinch of cayenne pepper
shredded iceberg lettuce
one medium peeled and sliced cucumber
4-5 tomatoes, chopped

First cover the lentils in a large saucepan with water. Once they have expanded, add the tomato sauce and spices. Bring to boil under high heat. Then simmer until the mixture thickens. Cook it until it is about the consistency of oatmeal. Stir often, so that the bottom does not burn. Add water when necessary (I added about 1 or 2 cups over time). This process takes about an hour. Heat the corn tortillas for 5 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees. Then assemble the tacos (lentils, chopped tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber).

This makes about 12 tacos.

No comments:

Photobucket

**NOTE TO MY FRIENDS**
Come on in for a nice cup of coffee and a chat about my weight loss journey as well as all the healthy recipes I have found, including WW points and/or nutritional information if available. I am eating a vegetarian diet and concentrating on getting healthy and hopefully weight loss will follow. Thank to all my readers for their ongoing support.



http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com Ticker

Photobucket