Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Power Outage

Well, the power went out in our little cabin in the woods today. I had just put some beans on to soak and was looking for recipes to create a supper for myself with. Then I had a GREAT idea. I would take a low-fat vegetarian recipe for cabbage rolls and turn it into a recipe for low-fat vegetarian lazy-man's cabbage rolls. I LOVE these.

So here is my plan, I will let you know how it turns out.

low-fat vegetarian lazy-man's cabbage rolls

1/2 head cabbage, chopped
6 ounces tomato sauce
3 ounces tomato paste
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 pound white beans, canned
1 cup brown rice, cooke
1 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Saute onion in a little bit of water. When translucent, add remaining ingredients, except beans. Simmer at medium-low for 15 minutes.

Place beans in a large bowl. Mash slightly with a fork or potato masher. Add to remaining ingredients and mix well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover Tightly and bake 1 hour. (I will simmer at medium-low until it reaches desired consistency and doneness, I like it really well done.)

Update: It took too long to make this when the power was so late coming on, so I had a big bowl of oatmeal and saved this for today. As I made it, I made a few changes.
  • I decided to change it to a slowc00ker recipe as I like my cabbage cooked up really well when I make something like this. I put all the ingredients in except the rice and set it on high for 5 hours. I will cook the rice and add it shortly before I eat it.
  • I added a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes and some mushrooms.
  • I also had a HUGE head of cabbage so I used less than 1/2 a head.
  • I seasoned it with garlic powder (as well as the minced garlic I put in, I LIKE garlic!), oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper.
  • Using 3 cups of cooked rice
Results: This was really good and I have all kinds of ideas for changing it up. I would like to try:
  • making this more spicy by adding hot pepper, or
  • adding lots of fresh mushrooms such as portabella
  • adding potatoes or serving it over potatoes.

No comments:

Photobucket

**NOTE TO MY FRIENDS**
Come on in for a nice cup of coffee and a chat about my weight loss journey as well as all the healthy recipes I have found, including WW points and/or nutritional information if available. I am eating a vegetarian diet and concentrating on getting healthy and hopefully weight loss will follow. Thank to all my readers for their ongoing support.



http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com Ticker

Photobucket