Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Invented soup

I was going through my fridge trying to pull out the veggies that I have forgotten about and I came across some cauliflower that I decided to cook. I spent a bunch of time online looking up recipes that suited what I had in mind (with a dial-up modem no less!!). I saw some roasted cauliflower recipes that sounded almost right and some cheesy cauliflower that sounded good but too fatty. So after much searching, I decided to just invent one. I went to my fridge and pulled out all the stuff that I wanted to include and came up with a yummy soup. I didn't measure but I have listed below basically how it went. Now for tomorrow I am interested in coming up with some kind of comfort food with turnip and potato, (maybe with cabbage as well??)

Cauliflower, mushroom and broccoli soup

1/2 head of cauliflower broken into small bits
1/2 bunch of broccoli broken into small bits
8 oz container of fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup of the strongest flavored fat free cheese I have (you could use soy cheese)
4 cups of veggie broth
2 cups of skim milk (you could use soy milk)

Put a small amount of water (2 Tbsp) into soup pot and cook onions, peppers, garlic and a couple of mushrooms. When onions are translucent, add broccoli and cauliflower. Cook these until they start to soften. Add veggie broth and simmer until veggies are cooked. Once veggies are cooked, whiz with a immersion blender and stir in mushrooms and cheese. (I threw in some beans with the mushrooms to up the protein factor)Mix thoroughly and put pan on low. Once mushrooms are cooked stir in milk. Heat until milk is warm but not boiling. Once this is to a comfortable temperature it ready to eat. LOTS of veggies, no added fat, and really yummy!

No comments:

Photobucket

**NOTE TO MY FRIENDS**
Come on in for a nice cup of coffee and a chat about my weight loss journey as well as all the healthy recipes I have found, including WW points and/or nutritional information if available. I am eating a vegetarian diet and concentrating on getting healthy and hopefully weight loss will follow. Thank to all my readers for their ongoing support.



http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com Ticker

Photobucket