This Mediterranean-style salad eats like a meal, combining a healthy mix of good carbs, proteins, and fats and giving you a clean yet hearty meal that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
* 1 cup dry French lentils
* 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 orange, peeled and sectioned
* 1/2 tsp minced or crushed garlic
* 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
* 2 tbsp very finely minced red onion
* 1 tbsp dried currants
* 1/2 small carrot, shredded
* 1/4 cup minced red and yellow bell peppers
* 1 - 2 tbsp minced fresh herbs (parsley, chives, and/or mint)
1. Place lentils in a pot and fill with enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Partially cover and cook until the lentils are tender (around 20 to 30 minutes). Drain lentils when they are done, and gently rinse in cold water. Drain and place them in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add the remaining ingredients except the bell pepper and fresh herbs, cover tightly and chill at least 4 hours.
3. Add the bell pepper and herbs within an hour of serving. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Makes 4 servings
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING: