* 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 2 Tablespoons soy flour
* 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 2 cups water, divided
* 1 teaspoon yellow mustard (try Dijon for a different, less sharp, taste)
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil (can decrease amount to 1/3 cup, if concerned about fat content)
- Mix the dry ingredients in a saucepan.
- Whisk in 1 cup of water and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until it thickens and bubbles.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the oil and mustard.
- Return to the heat and gradually add the remaining 1 cup water.
- Cook until thickened and bubbly, and it’s about the consistency of a nacho cheese sauce (or to your preference)
- Spoon onto the pizza or lasagna and broil until golden.
- Possible additions: green onions, dried minced onion, dried basil and/or oregano, a sprinkling of paprika, chili powder, ancho chile powder, etc. Be creative!