- 1-1/4 pounds beef top round roast
- 1 slice thick-cut or 2 slices regular bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup rich red wine (try a cabernet sauvignon)
- 1/4 cup A-1 sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (try bottled chopped garlic)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole caraway seeds
- 8 to 9 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled (or use 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Beef Base)
- 1/2 large head green cabbage (about 12 ounces), cut into 1-inch large dice
- 1 (3-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced
Trim beef, saving fat. Cut beef into 1/2-inch cubes and fat into 1/4-inch cubes.
In a nonreactive large pot (6 quarts), add bacon and beef fat. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until all fat has been rendered and remaining pieces of fat and bacon are brown but not burned. Remove browned fat and bacon pieces and set aside. Leave liquefied fat in pot.
Saute onions, carrots, celery, and green peppers about 4 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Add beef, raise heat to medium high and saute meat about 3 minutes or until just beginning to take on color. Return browned pieces of fat and bacon to the pot.
Stir in wine, A-1 sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, thyme, and caraway seeds. Stir about 1 minute. Pour in 8 cups water and add crumbled beef bouillon cubes (or base). Stir until cubes or base have dissolved completely.
Add cabbage and roasted red peppers; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer several minutes, or until scum stops accumulating on top. Partially cover and continue to simmer 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Skim again, if needed. Taste for seasonings and if too thick, add more water. (May need up to 1 cup.)
Per (1-cup) serving: 110 calories, 20 percent calories from fat, 14 grams protein, 8 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams total fiber, 2 grams total fat, 30 milligrams cholesterol, 622 milligrams sodium.
Yield: 10 cups