- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup veggie broth or more
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers (red, green, yellow, or orange or a combination)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- pinch of cayenne or more to taste
- 3 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes (28 oz. can)
- Two 15 oz. cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced okra (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- chopped fresh parsley or minced scallions
Combine the onions, garlic and 1/3 cup veggie broth in a soup pot. Cover and saute on medium heat for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened.
Add the carrots, celery, bell peppers, oregano, thyme, basil marjoram and cayenne. Cover and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking. Add more veggie broth if this happens.
When the vegetables are just tender, stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, mustard, brown sugar and okra, if using. Simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with parsely or scallions.