- 2 small eggplants
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 tsp. dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the stem ends from the eggplants and cut off enough of the skin to square the sides.
- Slice each eggplant lengthwise into two pieces, each approximately 1/2-inch thick.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp. salt evenly over the slices and place in a bowl for about 20 minutes to draw out the bitterness.
- Rinse the eggplant well and pat dry.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 Tbsp. of water and the hot sauce. Brush evenly over both sides of the eggplant slices.
- Bake on a baking sheet for 15 minutes, turning over once.
- Then broil for 1 minute per side or until the slices are well browned and tender.
In a small bowl, stir together the remaining oil, garlic, vinegar, parsley, and rosemary. Brush on the cooked eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 servings.