- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced into thin slices (vertically)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (or more) fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup egg substitute
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Soy Cheese, mozzarella variety (I like Soy Station brand best)
- Fat-Free Marinara sauce with mushrooms (I use Trader-Joe Organic)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix cottage cheese, egg replacement, nutmeg, salt and pepper and parsley together in a small bowl.
Spray a medium-size baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and spread a small amount of the marinara sauce over the bottom of the dish. Lay cheese slices on each eggplant slice. Spoon about 2 Tablespoons of the cottage cheese mixture onto each cheese covered eggplant slice and roll up. Place overlapping side down in pan in single layer. Cover with more marinara sauce.
Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until bubbly and hot throughout. If desired, sprinkle with shredded soy cheese after rollups have baked for 40 minutes. Continue baking for 5 more minutes until cheese melts. Remove from oven and let stand 14-20 minutes before serving.
Serve with tomato slices drizzled with balsamic vinegar and sprinkled with fresh minced garlic along with garlic rubbed whole wheat hamburger bun halves, lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and broiled until golden brown.