- ~1¾ lbs. zucchini or other summer squash
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cup shredded Italian cheeses (e.g. Parmesan, fontina, mozzerella, etc.)*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ~1 teaspoon worth sugar substitute
- * I think it's best if part of the cheese is a hard cheese, like Parmesan or Asagio, but it isn't vital.
Preparation:Heat the oven to 375° F.
1) Cut the squash into 1 to 2-inch lengths and run through a food processor, using the large blade. Alternatively, you can grate the squash.
2) Heat oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onion in the oil for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the squash. Season with salt and pepper to taste, (use seasoned salt, if you wish), and cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes.
3) Push the squash toward the outside of the pan, add a trace of oil in the center, and sauté the garlic for 30 seconds or so. Mix it all together, add the basil, mix again, and turn the heat off.
3) Transfer the squash mixture to a casserole dish (2 quarts or so). Mix in one cup of cheese, the sour cream, and the sweetener. Taste for seasoning.
4) Add the eggs and combine well. Scrape down the sides of the casserole dish. Sprinkle the other half cup of cheese on the top.
Bake for about 20 to 22 minutes, until cheese turns a golden brown to
Makes 8 servings as a side dish.Nutritional Information: Each serving has 4 grams effective carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber, 10 grams protein, and 159 calories.