2 cups fresh mushrooms -- sliced
1 cup celery -- sliced
1 cup carrots -- chopped
2 medium onions -- cut into wedges
1 medium green bell pepper -- (or red or yellow) cut into strips
12 chicken drumsticks -- skinned
1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 14 1/2 oz. Can diced tomatoes -- with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
1/3 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons cornstarch -- (0 pts for Core)
Hot cooked brown rice -- or whole wheat pasta (optional)
1. In 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine mushrooms, celery, carrots, onions, and sweet bell pepper. Place chicken on top of vegetables. Pour broth over chicken. Sprinkle with black pepper.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
3. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, and cornstarch. Stir into mixture in cooker. Cover and cook about 20 minutes more or until thickened. If desired, serve chicken and vegetable mixture over hot cooked pasta.
Fritta w/ salsa
- Saute onions and peppers (red or green)
- !dd some chopped potatoes, mushrooms, Canadian bacon,
- After the potatoes are soft,add beaten eggs and ff cheddar cheese
- Cover the skillet w/ a lid. it puffs up as it cooks through
- Serve w/ a side of salsa and guacamole. (this is also a portable meal, cut in wedges and take to work)
Beer can chicken
w/ "fried rice" brown rice, sauted onions and mushrooms, water chestnuts, a little soy sauce and a beaten egg. you can also add bean sprouts. cook the veggies then add cooked brown rice.
- Boil whole wheat spaghetti noodles according to package directions
- While they are boiling julienne some lean ham and saute it with some garlic in a non-stick pan that is sprayed with pam
- To that add some fat free ricotta and some evaporated skim milk to thin it out and make a nice creamy sauce
- Add some italian seasoning and salt and pepper, stir in the noodles to coat and served with a nice salad with fat free italian dressing.