No matter where you start the program, you’ll want to remember these ten tips for success. They’ll help you stay on track, no matter what phase you’re in.
1. Understand what you’re eating.
Atkins is about eating right. But to eat right, you need to know what you’re eating. Atkins makes you a nutrition expert – you’ll learn which foods your body needs to lose or maintain weight, how to easily reduce carbs and sugar in your diet, what that label really says and more.
- Reading the Acceptable Foods List for Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3. That’s your very delicious cheat sheet.
- Understand Net Carbs
- Use the handy Carb Counter in combination with the Acceptable Foods Lists and easily keep track of your Net Carbs
2. Be sensible, not obsessive, about portions.
We don’t make you count calories – we just ask you to use a little common sense. You probably could guess that too many calories will slow down your weight loss, but here’s a surprise – too few will slow down your metabolism. Start with these recommendations as a minimum and adjust based on your results.
- Women should shoot for a range of 1500 - 1800 calories a day
- Men should shoot for a range of 1800 - 2000 calories per day
* Calorie recommendations vary depending on your size, gender, age and metabolism.
3. Eat regularly. That’s right, no starvation.
Regardless of the phase, you should be eating three regular-sized meals with two snacks every day.
4. Enjoy sensible snacks, even on-the-go.
Don’t worry, “snack” is a good word on Atkins – we’ll show you how to stay satisfied between meals and of course, you can enjoy Atkins bars and shakes from day one.
5. Enjoy eating – at home, at a restaurant, wherever.
Other diets inflict a fear of eating. Many require you to eat predetermined expensive, pre-packaged meals. Not Atkins. We’ll teach you how to choose the right foods, at home, in a restaurant, on vacation, anywhere. You’ll make the right choices and stay on track.
6. Drink more water.
It’s really true – more water encourages your body to let go of water weight – plus it’s just plain healthy, so drink at least eight glasses a day.
7. Remember your supplements.
Take a daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron. Take your Omega 3’s and 6’s every day and a fiber supplement if necessary.
8. Up your activity.
Of course, there are lots of benefits to activity/exercise, but in the case of Atkins, we believe more activity means better results, and getting to your goal, faster.
9. Let family and friends support you.
You know they want you to reach your goals. So talk it up, let the important people in your life know how you’re doing and feeling. And if you need some encouragement, don’t beat around the bush – just ask.
10. Track your weight loss success and your health success.
It’s a great idea to visit your healthcare professional and get a check up before you start Atkins – and a follow-up when you reach your goal weight. You might just be amazed at how much healthier you’ve gotten.
Okay, ready for the details?