Low Carb Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmesan
This is good and healthy too; a good dish for a vegetarian that may also be watching their carb intake. Serve this as a main dish (serves 3) or as a side dish (serves 6).
55 min | 10 min prep | SERVES 3
1 1/2 lbs eggplants
1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
1 1/2 cups no-added-sugar low carb spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce (I use Hunt’s no added sugar Italian baking sauce, in a can)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Peel eggplant, if you wish, and cut into 1/4 inch thick round slices.
3. Lightly grease a medium sized casserole dish and place half of the eggplant on the bottom.
4. Top with 1/2 cup of parmesan, 3/4 cup mozzarella and 3/4 cup of sauce, sprinkle with spices.
5. Repeat layers and again, sprinkle with spices.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 - 60 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
7. Uncover and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella and once again, sprinkle with spices; bake for about 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.