Yield: Makes about 12 cups
- 3 medium onions, chopped (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped (about 3 cups)
- olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 6 cups)
- 4 (10-ounce) cans cans mild diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/4 cup Greek seasoning
- Sauté onions and bell peppers in hot olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Place onion mixture in large bowl, and set aside.
- Sauté eggplant in hot olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes. Add eggplant to onion mixture in bowl.
- Sauté mushrooms in remaining 2 tablespoons hot oil in Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Add canned diced tomatoes and green chiles, Greek seasoning, and vegetable mixture to Dutch oven, and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon 3 cups mixture into each of four freezer bags; seal and freeze up to one month.
Black Bean Soup: Bring 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained; 3 cups Day-by-Day Vegetable Medley, thawed; and 2 cups veggie broth to a boil. Stir in 1/4 cup lime juice, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro and chopped onion. Salt to taste.