* 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
* 1/2 tsp. baking soda
* 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
* 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk or plain soymilk
* 3 Tbs. pure maple syrup
* 3/4 cup dried currants
* 8 tsp. raw sugar, such as turbinado, optional
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, maple syrup, and currants in separate bowl. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until soft dough forms. Transfer to floured work surface, and shape into 8-inch round. Cut round into 8 wedges. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, and sprinkle each wedge with 1 tsp. sugar, if using. Bake 20 minutes, or until browned.
Nutritional Information Per scone: Calories: 193, Protein: 6g, Total fat: <1g, Saturated fat: <1g, Carbs: 44g, Cholesterol: <1mg, Sodium: 226mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 15g