* 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
* 2 tsp. olive oil
* 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
* 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
* 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (about 1 Tbs.)
* 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
* 1 28-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
* 1/2 cup dry red wine or 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 Tbs. capers, drained and rinsed
* 1 tsp. dried oregano
1. Place eggplant in colander, and sprinkle generously with salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Rinse under cold water, and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño, and sauté 10 minutes, or until onion is softened and translucent. Add eggplant and mushrooms, and sauté 10 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in tomatoes, 1 cup water, wine, capers and oregano. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 50 to 60 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutritional Information Per SERVING:
Total fat: 1.5g,
Saturated fat: 0.5g,