1 cup water
2 medium onions -- chopped
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
1 medium green pepper -- chopped
2 small zucchini -- cut in half then sliced
4 medium tomatoes -- chopped
2 cups broccoli florets
2 tablespoons chili powder
3 cups cooked kidney beans
2 tablespoons arrowroot -- or cornstarch mixed in
1/3 cup water
1) Place 1/2 cup of water in a large pot. Add onions and sauté over medium-high heat for three minutes.
2) Add mushrooms, green pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, broccoli, chili powder, and remaining half cup of water. Cover and bring to a boil.
3) Reduce heat to medium. Cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
4) Add beans and heat through, about another 5 minutes.
5) Mix the cornstarch mixture together and add to the vegetables while stirring. Cook and stir until thickened.
I use canned diced no-salt-added tomatoes, frozen chopped broccoli, canned and rinsed kidney beans, and double the amount of peppers, sometimes using half a bag of frozen pepper strips because a whole pound of that comes out cheaper than one measly fresh green pepper that yields just a few ounces after taking the seeds and stem out. I'll have this either with brown rice or make cornbread.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 192 Calories; 2g Fat (6.6% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 48mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat;
2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
Serving Ideas : Serve over brown rice. Pass the optional toppings to spoon over the top, if desired.
1 bunch green onions, chopped fine
diced canned green chilies
sliced black olives
chopped fresh coriander