2 cups cooked kidney beans -- 1- 16 oz can, drained
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
salt and pepper -- to taste
1/4 cup chopped onions -- finely chopped
non-stick cooking spray -- to coat skillet
1. In a large bowl, combine beans, rice, ketchup and spices. Mash with a fork or potato masher until beans are mashed well. Rice will be lumpy.
2. Add chopped onions and mix well.
3. Divide mixture evenly and form into 8 burgers, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Wet your hands slightly to avoid sticking.
4. Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat. Place burgers on griddle and cook until browned on both sides, turning burgers several times. (Sue's note - an indoor grill like the Foreman grill works well, too.)
5. Serve hot with your favorite toppings and condiments.
"Lean and Lucious and Meatless"
Per Serving: 118 Calories; 1g Fat (5.0% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 46mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
NOTES : MWLP acceptable when served on a plate without any bun