Sunday, January 31, 2010

Returning to Vegetarianism and Corn and White Bean Salad with Avocado

I have started on a low fat vegetarian diet for health reasons. I have to say, I have never felt better. I have so much energy and my stomach is feeling so much better.

My daughter is about 5 1/2 weeks old and I am already 13 lbs below my prepregnancy weight of 264 lbs!! I have taken before pics that I will share as soon as I can locate the cord for my camera.

I plan to weigh in on Fridays and I will try to share more of my journey with you.

Today I tried a new recipe which I really enjoyed. I adapted it to what I have in the house.

Corn and White Bean Salad with Avocado

1 med sized can corn
1 1/2 cups (1 can) cooked white beans, drained and rinsed in a colander until water runs clear
1 medium tomato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 - 1/2 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped (to taste)
1 avocado
3 - 4 fresh mushrooms chopped
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)

Dump corn in a large mixing bowl. Add the well-rinsed beans and all remaining ingredients. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate a couple of hours to allow flavors to blend.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe

(Without avocado, contains 161 calories, 1g of fat 32g carbohydrates, 9g fiber, 9g protein. Points: 2.5)

No comments:

Photobucket

**NOTE TO MY FRIENDS**
Come on in for a nice cup of coffee and a chat about my weight loss journey as well as all the healthy recipes I have found, including WW points and/or nutritional information if available. I am eating a vegetarian diet and concentrating on getting healthy and hopefully weight loss will follow. Thank to all my readers for their ongoing support.



http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com Ticker

Photobucket