- 1 cup (80 g) regular rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups (155 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40 g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup (2 oz./55 g) butter or margarine, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) smooth unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 thin lemon slices, cut into quarters, seeds discarded
- In a food processor or blender, whirl oats until finely ground. Distribute evenly over bottom of a lightly greased square 8-inch (20- cm) nonstick or regular baking pan; set aside.
- In a food processor or large bowl, whirl or stir together the 1 1/4 cups (155 g) flour, the 1/3 cup (40 g) powdered sugar, and the 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel. Add butter and applesauce; whirl or rub with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Scatter crumbs evenly over oats in pan; press firmly to make an even layer that covers bottom of pan and extends about 1/2 inch (1 cm) up sides.
- Prick dough all over with a fork.
- Bake in a 325 degree F (165 degree C) oven until pale golden (about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat whole egg and egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until mixture is thick and pale in color. Add the 1/2 to 1 teaspoon lemon peel, lemon juice, the 1 tablespoon flour, and baking powder; beat until smooth.
- Remove hot baked crust from oven; pour lemon mixture into crust.
- Return to oven and bake until filling no longer jiggles in center when pan is gently shaken (about 30 minutes). Let cool in pan on a rack. Serve at room temperature or chilled. To serve, cut into 2-inch (5-cm) squares. Just before serving, sprinkle with the 3 tablespoons powdered sugar and garnish with quartered lemon slices.
Yield: Makes 16 bars
3 POINTS per serving
Per bar: 155 calories (20% calories from fat), 4 grams total fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 21 milligrams cholesterol, 56 milligrams sodium, 29 grams carbohydrates, 0.8 grams fiber, 3 grams protein, 19 milligrams calcium, 0.8 milligram