- 1/2 cup lukewarm (105-115F) fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fat-free milk
1. In a small bowl, combine the lukewarm milk, water and sugar; sprinkle with the yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a food processor, combine the flour and salt. With the machine running, scrape the yeast mixture through the food tube just until the dough forms a ball. Knead the dough by pulsing until it is smooth and no longer sticky, about 30 times.
3. Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray; place the dough in the bowl.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let the dough rise in a
warm, draft-free place until it doubles in volume, 40-50 minutes.
4. Punch down the dough; lightly sprinkle a work surface with flour. Turn out
the dough; pat into an 8x12" rectangle. Fold into thirds lengthwise, pinching
the seams to seal, and form into an 8" loaf. Spray an 8x4" loaf pan with
nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough in the pan, seamside down; cover with
plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place until
doubled in volume, 35-40 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425F.
5. Brush the bread with the teaspoon of milk. Bake on the center oven rack about
20 minutes; reduce the oven temperature to 375F. Bake until the bread is golden
brown, 25-30 minutes longer. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
- makes 16 servings
- Points per serving: 1
Cheese Bread variation:
Add w tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar
cheese and a pinch each of cayenne pepper and ground nutmeg with the flour.
Points per serving: 2
Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon with the flour and sprinkle with 1/2 cup raisins just
before shaping the loaf in step 4.
Points per serving: 1