- Dry pasta (8 oz)
- 1 can of tomato sauce (8 oz size)
- 1 can Zesty Tomates (DelMonte brand, 14.5 oz size)
- 1 can Diced tomatoes (14.5 oz size)
- 1 can Kidney beans, drained (15.5 oz size)
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup carrots, shredded
While pasta is cooking, spray dutch oven pot with PAM and cook mushrooms, carrots and onions. You can add some chicken broth if it gets too dry, but when the mushrooms cook they should release some liquid. When cooked, add the spinach, kidney beans, diced tomatoes and zesty tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cover and bring to simmer. Add cooked pasta. Return to heat and heat through.
When the mushrooms and onions are cooking I usually add some spices. I don't measure these, just throw them in. Usually pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder and onion powder. For mushrooms I usually use crimini mushrooms as I think they are more flavorful than whole button mushrooms.
You can substitute ground beef, ground turkey, or Boca crumbles for the kidney beans, but of course the points will go up.
serving 1 heaping cup = 4.0 points per serving