* 1/2 cup slivered almonds
* 3 T. sugar
* 1/2 head iceberg lettuce
* 1/2 head romaine or leafy lettuce (or try spinach)
* I like the green and red leaf
* 1/2 sweet, red onion, sliced into thin rings
* 1 (11-oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
* 3 T. orange juice
* 3 T. top grade oliveoil
* 2 T. vinegar (your favorite)
* 1 T. sugar or honey
* 1-2 t. poppy seeds, optional
* 1/4 t. salt
* fresh ground pepper
1. In frying pan, heat 3 T. sugar over med-low heat until melted (sugar turns liquid).
2. Sprinkle almonds into sugar and stir to coat (almonds clump together).
3. Pour onto a greased plate and let cool; separate.
4. Tear clean, dry greens into bite-sized pieces.
5. Toss greens with sliced onion rings (reserve some for garnish),
6. drained oranges, and cooled, separated candied almonds.
7. Shake dressing ingredients together until combined.
8. When ready to serve, pour dressing over salad and toss gently to coat.
9. Garnish with onion rings.
10. Serve immediately