A clean-eating stew that will warm your insides with its slow-cooked, soft pepper blend.
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 1/4 lb extra lean ground turkey breast
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 large red pepper, chopped
* 1/4 tsp crush red pepper
* 3 tsp Italian seasoning
* 1/2 tsp freshly ground 4-pepper blend
* 3 28-oz cans diced tomatoes, with liquid, no salt added
* 1 15-oz can pinto bens, with liquid
* 3 strips cooked extra-lean turkey bacon, chopped
* 2 tsp hot pepper sauce
* 1 small zucchini, sliced
* 2 pkg 6-oz each, sliced, fresh mushrooms
* 3/4 cup all natural, no sugar apple juice
* 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook the turkey until browned, stirring with a spoon to seperate and brown evenly.
2. Add the garlic, onion and red pepper. Cook for 3 minutes and add crushed red pepper, 2 tsp Italian seasoning and fresh ground 4-pepper blend. Cook for 8 minutes, then transfer to a large pot.
3. Add the tomatoes with the liquid, the pinto beans with the liquid, the cooked turkey bacon and the hot sauce. Stir in the zucchini and mushrooms.
4. Bring to a simmer and add 1 tsp Italian seasoning, then reduce to low heat. Cook for 1 hour, stirrnig occasionally. Serve over brown rice.
Makes 19 servings
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
Cholesterol: 13 mg