* 2-3 sweet potatoes, sliced length-wise
* 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
* 1 sweet onion, cut into large chunks
* 1 bulb of garlic
* 1/2 tsp of olive oil
* 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin pureacute;e
* 2-3 cups of low-sodium, low-fat chicken broth
* 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
* Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* Ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a large roasting pan by pouring the olive oil into it, letting it coat the bottom. Cut the sweet potato in half and place in the roasting pan.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the top of the garlic bulb off and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the roasting pan with the other vegetables. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove and let stand.
- Remove sweet potato from the pan and place in a large stock pot.
- Add the roasted onion and squeeze the roasted garlic flesh in as well.
- Add the canned pumpkin, 2 cups of chicken stock and lime juice and bring to a boil.
- Add more chicken stock to make the soup less thick. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, puree the soup until it is evenly smooth. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with salt, pepper and ground nutmeg.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING
Calories from Fat: 143
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Sugars: 5 g
Fat: 16 g
Sodium: 430 mg