- 2 lb medium-size eggplants
- 1/2 lb onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 or 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 oz olives
- 1/3 cup vinegar of any kind
- 1 teaspoon Splenda
- Wash the eggplants, cut them into small pieces, put them into a large strainer and sprinkle with salt. Set aside to drain for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the onions with one-third of the olive oil in a wide, shallow pan. Cook until golden. Add the tomatoes, capers, celery and olives. Mix well and cook for 15 minutes, set aside.
- Rinse the eggplant and dry completely.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over high heat.
- When the oil reaches its maximum temperature, add the eggplant pieces and fry until well browned. Drain. Stir the eggplant into the tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle on the vinegar and Splenda and return to low heat. Cook until the vinegar completely evaporates. Serve either warm or cold.
Approx 8.5 grams carbs per serving.