- 2 large stalks of broccoli (chopped to about 5 cups of flowerettes and peeled stem)
- 1/2 lb bacon (cooked until crisp, drained and blotted of excess fat, and chopped)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice (4 and 1/2 teaspoons, or to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar substitute, preferably zero carb, such as liquid forms
- 2 Tablespoons dried currants
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Preparation:1) Blanch broccoli by either boiling it or microwaving it for 1 to 2 minutes. It should still be crunchy, just not as hard as when it's raw. Quickly cool it in ice water, or by running it under cold tap water.
2) To make your dressing, mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, sweetener, and a pinch each of salt and pepper (adjust to taste). Add onion and currants.
3) Mix the broccoli, dressing and remaining ingreditents together. If you'd like, save a little of the sunflower seeds and bacon to sprinkle over the top.
Nutritional Information: Each of 10 servings has 3 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2.5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 203 calories.