This is not very spicy, so you can take the basic recipe and add more or less of your favorite spices.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 plum tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 fresh sage leaves, minced or ¼ tspn dried
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 1 16 oz can of white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 c ditali or small Whole Grain shell pasta, cooked
- Braise the onion and garlic, in small amount of water until tender.
- Add tomato, carrot, celery and sage. Sautee an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add broth and beans and heat thoroughly.
- Add the pasta, immediately before serving.
Pasta e Fagioli 2
- ½ pound small whole grain penne
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic (I use minced)
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes, coarsely diced (I know this looks and sounds like a lot, but trust me—once they’re cooked you’ll be saying “where did they go”?)
- ½ cup Fat Free Veg broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or a half teaspoon each of thyme and oregano)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Cook pasta al dente; rinse and set aside.
- Heat garlic, tomatoes, wine, seasoning, pepper and salt in a six-quart sauce pot.
- Bring to a full boil, cover; reduce heat to hard simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and beans; toss for 3 minutes.