Recipe Cooking Time Preparation 10 minutes
Cooking 50 minutes
Ready In 60 minutes
- 1 pound beets (about 4 medium)
- 1 pound carrots sliced
- 2 tablespoons ginger root grated fresh
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 x orange zest grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- Wash the beets well and cut off the leaves, leaving an inch or so of stem.
- Cover with cold water, bring to a boil and simmer, covered until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Drain and cover with cool or lukewarm water.
- When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins.
- Cut the beets into slices or chunks.
- Peel and cut the carrots into slices or chunks, resemling the beets in size and style.
- Steam or boil in lightly salted water about 5 minutes or until tender but not soft.
- Combine the ginger, sugar, orange juice, vinegar, orange zest and spices in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cook until thickened.
- Simmer the cooked beets and carrots in this sauce for about 5 minutes.
When cool, slip off the skins. Cut the beets into slices or chunks.
Since I didn't want to waste the beet tops, I sliced the green beet tops and steamed them and when I combined the sauce with the cooked beets and carrots, I also added the steamed beet tops.