Mushroom Lover’s Frittata with Spinach and Cheese
(Makes six servings)
12 oz. mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2-3 tsp. olive oil
1-2 green onions, sliced
2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or more)
1/2 cup grated low-fat mozarella cheese, plus a tiny bit more to sprinkle on top if desired
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler. Use a 12 inch frying pan with a non-stick surface for best results with this recipe. Spray bottom and sides of pan with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Heat 1 tsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, season with spike seasoning, and saute about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are softened and liquid has evaporated. Add a tiny bit more oil, then add green onions and spinach to mushrooms and saute 2-3 minutes, until spinach has wilted quite a bit.
- While spinach is wilting, beat eggs well. Sprinkle cheese over wilted spinach/mushroom mixture and let melt about 1 minute. Then pour eggs over, using a fork to separate the veggies so egg runs down between vegetable pieces. (You can sprinkle a tiny bit more cheese over the eggs if desired.) Cover pan with lid, reduce heat to very low and cook about 15 minutes, or until eggs are nearly set but still slightly soft in spots.
- Remove lid and put frittata under the broiler for 3-5 minutes (depending on how close to the heat you have it) until the top is nicely browned and eggs are set. Let cool about 2 minutes, then slice like a pie into six pieces. Serve hot.
- This is delicious with a dollop of sour cream.