They are good in a big salad with olives, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, capers, egg.
I love to eat them in a sandwich with swiss cheese and mayo and a variety of vegetables like, onion, jalapeño pepper. Save the seed to store with any unused portion of avocado. It will help retain freshness.
- Use the big Florida avocados.
- Mash one and add a bunch of diced jalapeños, a diced Vidalia onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, the juice of a lemon, salt and make the top brown with powdered habañero pepper before mixing. Even better than lemon juice is, of all things, the juice from a jar of pickled jalapenos. Finely chopped cilantro is really good in it, too.
- Put the maximum amount possible on your tortilla of choice with diced tomato and torn romaine. Add more habañero pepper, fold and enjoy.
- Add some shredded cheese.
Hot Avocado Grilled Pita Sandwich
Perfect dinner for one or lunch for two. Combines nicely with a a tasty green salad!
* 1 onion, in thinly sliced rings
* 1 avocado, mashed and seasoned to taste
* cheese, grated (I used Dutch Boeren Belegen kaas)
* purée de piments
* fresh basil leaves, torn
* 2 pita breads (low carb wrap)
1. Fry onion rings in a splash of olive oil on high heat, stirring constantly, until golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Split pita bread (or use low carb wrap), leaving a small section still intact to guarantee that the sandwich won’t fall apart on the grill. Spread equal parts of mashed avocado on one side of each pita and top with equal amounts of fried onion. Spread purée de piments on the opposite side of each pita. Spread the grated cheese over the mashed avocado and sprinkle with torn basil leaves.
3. Place grill pan over a high heat and until super hot, then reduce heat to medium-high. Grill sandwiches one at a time for about 2-3 minutes per side or until the pita is toasted and cheese melted. Cut in half and serve.