Monday, September 4, 2006

Motivation Monday

Well it is Monday and it is an extra day off for me. That is nice. But, I am back to the regularly schedule life starting tomorrow as Prince Charming starts back to school, Little Princess goes back to Day Care, and my best friend goes back home. In some ways that is easier on my diet, routine works well for me. But I will miss having everyone around. It will be a bit odd.

Prince Charming said something nice yesterday. I was saying that I kinda felt like I should go back to work again so that I can contribute to the house, he said that I take care of things right now more than he does. He said that while he is taking care of our future (by going to school to better himself) I am taking care of our present (by taking care of our house, our bills, our daughter, groceries, etc.) What a sweet thing to say. He said that right now he feels like I contribute more than he does. And when he said that, I told him that if I am taking care of the now and he is taking care of the later than both contributions are equally important. But I love that he appreciates me.

On the diet front, I am looking for a little motivation as things get back to normal. This is what I came up with:

10 motivational tips to keep your diet on course and avoid being tempted by high fat, high calorie foods

1. Plan ahead
If you’re going to a party straight after work, eat something before you go so that you don’t dive into the nearest plate of snacks when you arrive. Go for something filling, such as a sandwich or a bowl of wholegrain cereal with skimmed or semi skimmed milk.

2. Chose wisely
If you haven’t got time to eat before the party, chose your snacks carefully. Breadsticks are a great choice but watch out for those dips. An average portion of houmous contains 6g fat and 90 calories compared with the same amount of taramasalata that has 25g fat and 250 calories.

3. Drink a glass of water
If you haven’t got time to eat and want to resist snacks totally then drink a glass of water to help fill your stomach and keep your hunger at bay.

4. Sugar free gum
Chewing gum tends to stop you from nibbling bits of food while you’re cooking. It might not look very sophisticated when you have guests but it could just save you from overeating, and let you enjoy your meal.

5. Stock up on dried fruits
Dried fruits are low in fat and high in fibre. A good handful also counts as one of your fruit servings for the day.

6. Out of sight, out of mind
Keep temptation at bay when you’re at home. Don’t stock up on high fat snacks such as nuts, crisps or mince pies if you can help it. Otherwise, keep them out of sight or store them in an awkward place so they’re difficult to reach. If other members of your family want them they’ll have to get them down themselves.

7. Watch the alcohol
Although alcohol contains no fat, a small glass of wine can set you back 132 calories. To keep the calorie-count down, try alternating wine with mineral water.

8. Be ruthless
Don’t leave bowls of unfinished snacks lying around chuck them out as soon as your guests have left. Remember a few handfuls of crisps could add up to 25g of fat.

9. Make your own
If you love dips and can’t bear to eat breadsticks naked, why not make your own low fat dips? One of my favourites is a chilli bean dip. Whiz up half a can of red kidney beans with a raw onion, a garlic clove and a red chilli, add a dash of lemon juice and a good pinch each of cumin, dry mustard and salt. A good portion contains just 0.5g of fat.

10. Don’t waste calories
If you really want something then have it. But save your calories for the things you really want and don’t just eat things because they are there. During a meal or buffet only eat the things you really like and make your plate look fuller by piling the veggies high.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...that was so sweet of your DH.Doesn't it feel great to be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet of your hubby!!! And great tips, espically on the don't waist calories on things you don't like. I have done that so much in my past but not in my future.. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I thought I was going going to just hop over and visit you, but I didn't know I would have so many choices of blogs! I chose this one because I am perpetually in the weight-loss game.

It sounds like you are doing very well in your weight loss efforts! Keep up the good work.

Photobucket

**NOTE TO MY FRIENDS**
Come on in for a nice cup of coffee and a chat about my weight loss journey as well as all the healthy recipes I have found, including WW points and/or nutritional information if available. I am eating a vegetarian diet and concentrating on getting healthy and hopefully weight loss will follow. Thank to all my readers for their ongoing support.



http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com Ticker

Photobucket