4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1/2 cup tomato-based barbecue sauce or olive oil mixed with 1 crushed garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
4 whole-wheat rolls, halved
grilled onion slices
lettuce leaves and sliced tomato
Cajun hot sauce
fresh minced herbs
sliced avocado, chopped raw onion, sprouts
Chopped mushroom stems sautéed in olive oil with garlic and fresh herbs
1. Prepare a medium fire in the grill.
2. Brush the mushroom caps with olive oil or barbecue sauce.
3. Grill mushrooms (and onion slices, if you like them), turning occasionally until tender and grill-marked, about 10 minutes. Grill the rolls until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes on each side.
4. To assemble the sandwiches, lightly brush the cut side of the toasted rolls with the remaining olive oil or barbecue sauce. Add Portobello burgers and desired toppings.
5. If pan-frying the mushrooms, simply cook in a little olive oil over medium heat until tender, turning occasionally.