* 3 lbs. russet potatoes (about 4 medium)
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten
* 1 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. ground black pepper
* 2 to 3 Tbs. vegetable oil, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Prick potatoes all over with fork. Bake 70 minutes, or until soft. Cool 10 minutes, or until easy to handle.
2. Lightly flour baking sheet. Slice potatoes in half and scoop flesh into large bowl. Mash until no lumps remain, but potatoes are still fluffy. Fold in flour, egg, salt and pepper. (It’s easiest to use your hands.) Divide dough into 4 balls, and transfer to lightly floured work surface.
3. Roll 1 dough ball into long strand about 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 1-inch pieces, and place pieces on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining balls of dough.
4. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Drop quarter of cut gnocchi into pot, and cook 2 minutes, or until gnocchi rise to surface. Transfer to serving bowl, and repeat with remaining gnocchi. If serving later, toss with vegetable oil to keep gnocchi from sticking together. Otherwise, top with desired sauce, and serve.
Nutritional Information Per SERVING:
Total fat: 1g,
Saturated fat: 0.5g,