* 1 cup nonfat milk
* 1 large egg
* 2 cups Italian-seasoned dried breadcrumbs
* 8 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed
* 2 medium-sized eggplants, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
* Lemon-Caper Sauce
* 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
* 3 Tbs. olive oil
* 3 tsp. capers
* 3 Tbs. lemon juice
* 2 Tbs. parsley, chopped
* Lemon slices and parsley sprigs for garnish, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. To make Schnitzel: Whisk together milk and egg in wide bowl. Spread breadcrumbs on large plate. Dip mushrooms and eggplant slices into milk mixture, then coat slices with breadcrumbs. Shake off excess crumbs, and set on prepared baking sheet. Spray vegetables with cooking spray, and bake 10 minutes. Flip vegetables, spray with cooking spray, and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender and breadcrumbs are dark golden brown. Set aside.
3. To make Lemon-Caper Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until butter begins to brown. Stir in oil and capers, and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat, and add lemon juice and parsley.
4. To serve: Stack 1 mushroom and several eggplant rounds on each plate; drizzle with Lemon-Caper Sauce, and garnish with lemon slices and parsley sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information Per SERVING:
Total fat: 12g,
Saturated fat: 3g,