1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans -- dried
8 sun-dried tomato halves -- dry packed
1/2 cup fresh parsley -- flat-leaf, chopped
1/2 cup fresh mint -- chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
1 cup red onion -- finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons jalapeno chile peppers -- finely chopped
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a large pot, combine chickpeas with 8 cups of water. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, in water overnight.
2. Place sun-dried tomatoes in shallow bowl and pour in enough boiling water to cover; let stand until softened, about 20 minutes.
3. Drain soaked chickpeas and transfer to food processor. Add 2 tablespoons oil (or water), 1 teaspoon salt & pepper, and process until finely chopped. Add the tomatoes, parsley, mint, and soy sauce and process briefly to combine. Scrape mixture into a bowl.
4. In a large skillet, heat 1 tab. oil or water and heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in cumin, 1/2 t. salt, garlic & jalapeño, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add to chickpeas. Stir in flour until well blended. Form into 8 patties.
5. In electric grill at 350º or in a skillet, grill over medium heat, turning once, until golden brown, 4-5 minutes.
Per Serving: 358 Calories; 5g Fat (12.7% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1254mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
NOTES : Original recipe called for 3 tablespoons olive oil. If used, nutritional info per serving (2 patties):
Per Serving: 447 Calories; 15g Fat (29.9% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 455mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat.