- 4 medium roasted red peppers - either from a jar or roasted yourself
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped or pressed
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder (or see alternatives below)
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup wine
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Salt to taste
Preparation:1) If using jarred peppers, drain. If there is sugar in the brine, consider rinsing them. Tear peppers into large pieces.
2) Melt butter, and add onion. Cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and spices, and sauté for another 30 seconds.
3) Add peppers and water. Blend with stick blender, or put in blender or food processor. Blend until smooth (if you need more liquid, add some of the cream).
4) Add wine and cream. Heat to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5) Adjust seasonings. If it tastes harsh, try adding a bit of sweetener (just a touch can really bring out the flavor of the peppers). This is a dish where balancing the flavors really comes into play.
If desired, garnish with a dollop of sour cream or a drizzle of olive oil.
Makes about 5 servingsNutritional Information: Each serving has 6 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, and 141 calories.