- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 3 3/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups cooked red beans
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Place medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add the rice, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, jalapeno, cumin, coriander, and chili powder, and heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until lightly browned.
In another pot, bring the stock and bay leaf to a boil and add to the rice mixture. Cover the pan, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the beans, tomatoes, corn, and salt. Stir, cover, and simmer for 15 more minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from the heat and add the parsley and cilantro.