- 2 - 14 ounce cans of quartered artichoke hearts - drained
- ½ cup grated fat-free parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup grated fat-free mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup fat-free mayonnaise
- l tablespoon honey mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Place ingredients in a food process or blender and process until chunky.
- Coat a small casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place artichoke mixture in the dish, top with a sprinkle of parmesan, cheddar or mozzarella cheese, a touch of parsley and a touch of dill.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 – 30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- Serve with sliced wheat pita bread or fat-free wheat crackers.
- 1 package (10 oz.) Frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded Nonfat or soy mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup Chopped plum tomatoes (about 2 1/2 medium)
- 2 tbsp. Finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. Finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. Crushed fresh garlic
- 4 - 1 Whole-wheat submarine sandwich rolls, each 6" long or
- Loaf french bread, 24" long
- Combine the spinach, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, onions, basil and garlic in a medium-sized bowl and stir to mix. Set aside.
- Slice each roll into 12 (1/2 inch) slices. If you are using French bread, slice the French bread into 48 (1/2 inch) slices. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes, or until crisp and lightly browned.
- Spread each slice with 1 slightly rounded tablespoon of the spinach mixture. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees and return appetizers to the oven for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- 4 oz. Tofu, diced in ¼ inch pieces
- ¼ cup Orange Juice
- ¾ tsp. Lime Juice
- ¼ tsp. Lite Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Shredded Carrots
- 1 Tbsp. Red Onion
- 1 Tbsp. Green Pepper, diced
- 1/3 tsp. Fresh Ginger, minced
- ½ tsp. Grated Orange Peel
- 1/3 Tbsp. Fresh Basil
- ¼ cup Green Beans, cut in ½ inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. Corn
- 1 1/3 cup (dry volume) Whole Wheat Spiral Noodles
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- Toss tofu with soy sauce, orange and lime juices.
- Add remaining ingredients. Toss and refrigerate till service. Keep cold (below 41 degrees) for service.
Nutritional Facts per muffin:
Calories 120 Total Fat 2.5g
Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 220mg Total Carbs 23g Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugars 10g Protein 4g Vitamin A 25% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 4% Iron 8%
- 1/2 c. Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 c. All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 c. Ground Flax
- 3/4 c. Oat Bran
- 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 c. Grated Carrots
- 1 c. Pineapple Tidbits, drained
- 1/2 c. Raisins
- 1/3 c. & 1 T. Egg Substitute
- 2 T. Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 c. Skim Milk
- 1 T. Lemon Juice
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Stir in carrots, pineapple and raisins.
- Combine egg substitute, milk, lemon juice, applesauce and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Add liquids to dry ingredients, stir until moist (batter will be lumpy).
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Take out of pan as soon as possible to cool.
- 1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
- 3/4 Cup Ketchup
- 1/2 Cup Fat Free Italian Dressing
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Large Green pepper (chopped)
- 1 Large Onion (chopped)
- 3 cans Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans
- Combine all ingredients and bake for 100 minutes (stir at 60 minutes)
- 6 oz. dry Brown Rice
- ¾ tsp. Minced Garlic
- ½ cup Diced Onion
- ½ tsp. Ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp. Ground Coriander
- ¼ tsp. Ground Cayenne
- 1 ½ tsp. Curry Powder
- 1 cup Green Beans, French Style
- 1/3 cup Broccoli Florets
- ¾ cup Fresh Spinach
- ½ cup Diced Fresh Cucumber
- ½ cup Diced Fresh Tomato
- Cook rice in seasonings and water.
- Add green beans, broccoli and spinach and heat until vegetables are al dente.
- Mix cucumbers and fresh tomatoes.
- Garnish with cucumber, fresh tomato mix during service.
Praline Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 TBSP Smart Squeeze
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs. Brandy
- ½ tsp. ground ginger or 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp Grated orange peel (more if preferred)
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients.
- Mix well with an electric beater.
- Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish sprayed with Pam.
- Spread with praline topping.
- Combine all ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes.
- Red, Yellow, or any thick, meaty pepper
- Fresh Mint, Chopped
- Fresh Garlic, Chopped
- Pinch Thyme
- Pinch Basil
- Pinch Oregano
- Pinch Salt
- Cut peppers in quarters or roast whole if you choose.
- Place peppers on grill, top of stove, broiler or char-broiler to roast.
- Remove blackened skins from peppers – do not run under water.
- Combine peeled pepper and any juice in plastic bag with garlic and mint.
- Keep in bag for 10-15 minutes. This will steam and save any juice.
- Add basil, thyme, oregano, and salt and let sit for 24 hours.
- 1/2 bag Lima Beans
- 1/2 bag Corn (frozen)
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans (drained)
- Cook Lima Beans and Corn together when they are done, drain in a colander.
- Add red pepper, onions, garlic, parsley, basil, cilantro, and oregano to taste.
- To make dressing, combine 1/4 to 1/2 cup Rice vinegar with artificial sweetener, black pepper and red pepper to taste.
- 3 cups mashed, peeled, cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 large)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (or tbs. brown sugar and ½ tsp. Sweet ‘N Low Brown)
- 4 Egg Beaters, beaten
- ¼ cup light rum (or 1 tsp. rum extract)
- ½ to 1 tsp1 cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine mashed sweet potatoes with the rest of the ingredients.
- Beat well with a hand mixer.
- Fold into a 2-quart baking dish that has been sprayed with a non-fat cooking spray.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean and top is firm and golden brown.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Calories 90 Dietary Fiber 3g
Total Fat .5g Sugars 1g
Saturated Fat 0g Protein 3g
Cholesterol 0mg Vitamin A 15%
Total Carbohydrate 18g Vitamin C 25%
Sodium 25mg Calcium 4%
- 2 cups Water
- 1 ½ tsp. Low Sodium Vegetable Base
- 1 ½ cups Whole Wheat Couscous, dry
- ¼ cup Diced Fresh Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Diced Onion
- 1 cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 cup Fresh Mint, chopped
- ½ cup Corn, frozen, thawed
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- Bring vegetable broth and lemon juice to a boil in a large saucepan; stir in couscous.
- Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, and cool quickly to 41 degrees or below.
- Stir in chopped tomato and remaining ingredients.
- 4 pattys soy sausage
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 package frozen pepper stir fry
- 1 package frozen broccoli
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- to taste salsa
- ½ to 1 cup water
- Grated fat free cheddar cheese.
- Cut sausage in small cubes and cook sausage with diced onion.
- Add peppers, broccoli, and tomatoes.
- Add water for desired moisture.
- Add salsa for taste.
- Sprinkle fat free cheddar cheese prior to serving.
- Cook brown rice and serve with vegetable mixture.
Calories: 90 Sugars: 3g
Total Fat: .5g Protein: 5g
Total cholesterol: 0mg Vitamin A: 6%
Sodium: 0mg Vitamin C: 25%
Total carbohydrate: 19g Calcium: 2%
Dietary fiber: 4 g Iron: 6%
- 3/4 cup and 2 tbsp. Black beans dry
- 2 cups Corn, frozen, thawed
- 1 large Red tomato, fresh, diced
- 1 Green pepper, diced
- 1/3 Cup Fresh cilantro, diced
- Soak black beans overnight. Rinse and cook.
- Mix with corn, fresh diced tomatoes, green peppers, and cilantro.
- Keep cold for service.
Serving size: about 1/3 cup Makes 3 cups
66 Calories 0.4 g Fat 0 mg Cholesterol
12.8 g Carbs 3.8 g Protein 208.7 mg Sodium (with no salt added)
- 1/2 c. Onion, diced
- 1 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can Black beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can Tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Ground coriander
- 1 tsp. Chili powder
- In a saucepan, combine onion, garlic, and 1/4 cup water.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer until liquid evaporates and onion is transparent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in black beans with their liquid, tomato sauce, cumin, coriander, and chili powder.
- Simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking; thin if needed, with a little water.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 2 c. Vegetable broth
- 2 T. Soy sauce
- 2 c. Orange juice
- Alter to taste Tien Tsin Peppers (chopped)
- 1 T. Ground ginger
- Thicken with corn starch.
- Add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to sweeten with one quart of sauce.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Sauce is good for stir fries.
Serves: 4 cups dip
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
Calories Dietary Fiber g
Total Fat Sugars g
Saturated Fat g Protein g
Cholesterol mg Vitamin A %
Total Carbohydrate g Vitamin C %
Sodium mg Calcium %
- 1 package (10 oz.) Frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 container (16 oz.) Fat free sour cream
- 1 cup Fat free mayonaise
- 1 package Knorr vegetable recipe mix
- 1 can (8 oz.) Water chestnuts, drained and chopped (optional)
- 3 Green onions, chopped (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients and chill. Serve with your favorite dippers.
Beets and Carrots with West Indian Spices
- 1 pound beets (about 4 medium)
- 1 pound carrots sliced
- 2 tablespoons ginger root grated fresh
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 x orange zest grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- Wash the beets well and cut off the leaves, leaving an inch or so of stem.
- Cover with cold water, bring to a boil and simmer, covered until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Drain and cover with cool or lukewarm water.
- When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins.
- Cut the beets into slices or chunks.
- Peel and cut the carrots into slices or chunks, resemling the beets in size and style.
- Steam or boil in lightly salted water about 5 minutes or until tender but not soft.
- Combine the ginger, sugar, orange juice, vinegar, orange zest and spices in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cook until thickened.
- Simmer the cooked beets and carrots in this sauce for about 5 minutes.
When cool, slip off the skins. Cut the beets into slices or chunks.
Since I didn't want to waste the beet tops, I sliced the green beet tops and steamed them and when I combined the sauce with the cooked beets and carrots, I also added the steamed beet tops.