Friday, August 18, 2006

After you get there

do you think about what will happen after you get to your goal. Do you dream of finally being able to eat what you want to, or do you plan on dieting and watching what you eat for the rest of your life. Do you think that this ever becomes a natural way to eat? Do you have any idea what you will do to keep this weight off once we get it there?

I personally think that I have had over 30 years of eating to prove I don't know how to feed myself right. I know that given the opportunity I will feed myself too much or too little. So, I need the guidance of ww points to help me to know how much is enough. I believe I will need that guidance for the rest of my life, but I do think that at some point some of it will come more naturally for me.

Here are some of my ideas for keeping the weight off once I get to goal.

  • Be realistic. Losing weight will improve my health and give me energy, but it won't cure other problems and make me suddenly happy if I am not already happy.
  • Exercise. Being a more active person is the only way I will be able to stay the way I want to.
  • Weigh regularly. I will need to be aware of how much I weigh and if I catch any gains early, I will be able to counteract them quickly.
  • Reward myself. Treats like a manicure, an afternoon in the park or a day shopping at the mall to celebrate maintenance milestones.
  • Keep up the work. I need to keep reading labels, measuring portions and tracking what I eat. This is a marathon not a sprint. I need to be in this for the long haul.

Food for Friday

  • 0 points--coffee
  • 2 points--banana
  • 3 points--fruit and yogurt
  • 2 points--tuna on ww bread
  • 2 points--granola bar
  • 2 points--rice crispy square
  • 0 points--McDonald's Side Salad
  • 0 points--Diet Coke
  • 2 points--Cadbury's Thin bar
  • 4 points--chicken
  • 1 point--ww bread
  • 5 points--Swiss Chalet Healthy Options Quarter Chicken Breast meal
  • 2 points--rice crispy square
  • 0 points--coffee

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with you! I will always have to watch my calories. I don't think I will have to count them forever but watch them at goal. Definately weigh still weekly so I don't gain more than 5 pounds back ever. And of course keep my walking up. Right now I walk 6 days per week but at maitenence I might drop it to 5 days per week, not sure until I get there and that is along time away.. :-) But every pound lost is a pound closer!

hugs,
April

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan to me! I really don't think about these things - partly because I have such a very long way to go to goal, and partly because I just assume that what I'm doing now IS my lifestyle from here on out. I don't think about doing things any differently once I get there. HOWEVER... I MAY have to do things drastically differently from what I am currently doing when I get down another 50 pounds to actually REACH goal! I may have to cut back a LOT farther... so if that's the case, then these questions will certainly come up for me!

Anonymous said...

I think about this kind of thing as well. I'm hoping i'll be able to keep up with the WW thing forever too. I'm constantly using this spreadsheet to keep track of what I eat and I keep wondering if I'll do this for the rest of my life. i also need to switch up my eating. I seem to eat the same stuff all the time mainly because I know the points of it all. I have to get more creative. I miss all my fatty foods that taste so delish, but I'm sure I can find tasty alternatives. I have to...

Anonymous said...

As it has often been said, we're on a lifestyle change...we're changing how we eat, how we move and even how we think. Reaching GW doesn't mean we should stop.This time i'm not stopping....i'm also doing it for my health , especially after the few scares i got earlier this year.

Anonymous said...

Ack! I can't believe they don't have the Monthly Pass available in your area! I didn't even think it might not be avail in Canada. I'm sorry about that. I hope it comes to your area soon! Keep a lookout on the WW site, ok?

As far as after I get there. I just want to fit into REGULAR clothes. GAWD it's been forever and a day since I've seen the regular sizes. Well now I'm in 18's but those are always too long (I'm a shorty). I'd love to just catch all the sales at the dept. stores that carry "normal" sizes instead of camping out in front of Lane Bryant to get a "deal" on something that looks like it was tailor-made for... (big surprise) a FAT person! I have so many Lane Bryant outfits. All with big, bold prints on them that make me feel so awkward and I think I am standing out like a big fat sore thumb. Sigh. I just want to shop in a regular store. That's my big goal. LOL! And I figure it IS all behavior modification. I just have to realize that food isn't what my life revolves around. Portion control is what it's all about for the most part. And I've stocked up on Right Bites (Chips Deluxe are nummy!!) and lots of dried fruit. I've discovered I LOVE the SunMaid dried fruits. I got the Washington Apples and the Mediterranean Apricots and they're sooo yummy. Very satisfying and rich. SO I keep those on hand a lot.

You have a great plan worked out. Just stay focused and you can't go wrong!!

You're doing FABULOUS!

*HUGS*
Coco

Anonymous said...

I reached goal over a year ago before my wedding, and then I gained some of it back. I got careless with my food, and kept saying that I was celebrating. I have about 20lbs to go till I am back at my wedding weight. It's been hard. I don't know if I was more determined before, but man I've been struggling! I'll get there though...I'm not giving up.

You'll get there too!! You are doing so well!! :)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I think most of us get to an age where we have to watch what we eat. And of course the exercise is good no matter what weight we are!! In a busy world it is easy to stop in for takeaway. I love your plan - I'll be following it.

Anonymous said...

For me, already, I find that things are coming along much easier than at the beginning. I finally notice I'm full sooner, and FEEL full, not confused. I can for the first time in a long time, push myself away from the table when I've had enough. The pnts are a great way to tell if you're eating right, but eventually I think you just start to listen to your body better..

Photobucket

**NOTE TO MY FRIENDS**
Come on in for a nice cup of coffee and a chat about my weight loss journey as well as all the healthy recipes I have found, including WW points and/or nutritional information if available. I am eating a vegetarian diet and concentrating on getting healthy and hopefully weight loss will follow. Thank to all my readers for their ongoing support.



http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com Ticker

Photobucket